Ok, so it's been a while since my last update, but better late than never.
I have finally started working as of yesterday and so far it has been going well. I'll save all that until next entry though as I already have enough to write about today.
So I have spent the last couple of weeks travelling around the country on overcrowded, unreliable yet at the same time wonderful minibus system. Together with fellow "volunteers" (I say it like that because we earn more than the average Georgian and we don't seem to do a whole lot) we hit the road and began exploring. We spent a couple of days surrounded by mountains in Kazbegi, drank in a bar in Tbilisi that had an actual original nintendo present, relaxed on the beaches of the black sea and finally headed to more mountains in the remote region of Svaneti for a week, in what has been the highlight of Georgia for me so far. I had an awesome experience in Svaneti hiking for several days through the mountains with a great group of people. We met plenty of friendly and generous locals along the way who went out of their way to make us feel welcome in their area. The only thing that detracted from the trip involved some bad kubdari on the final day which left several of us throwing up throughout the last night - the first time I've thrown up without aid from alcohol in a long time. But honestly it was an incredible hike. I mean, it's the first week of autumn, and Georgia is by now means Russia. By that I mean it is HOT. Yet there was snow on the mountains! Everywhere! These mountains were 4000 and 5000 metres tall which is incredible. They are the biggest in Europe apparently (The Georgians keep insisting they are a part of Europe so let's keep them happy). It was hard to picture just how big these mountains were just by looking at them, until you realise that the paths we were walking along were at times around the same height (and sometimes higher) than Mount Kosciusko.
As for life on the home front, well, it continues to surprise. A few little anecdotes in no particular order:
- My host Dad, Big Nick, was trying to explain to me how to make cognac. Eventually I understood, which I told him, but unfortunately this never seems to be enough for Georgians. To make sure I understood he filled a glass with chacha (kind of like grappa I think), grabbed a hammer and charged up the stairs. He then started chipping away at the wooden support beams of his own house, collected the pieces he'd chipped off and put them in the glass and sealed it. It is sitting in the cupboard now, only a short three year wait until it is ready to drink.
- Speaking of alcohol, I've noticed that even when Big Nick is away working the chacha still sits on the table at breakfast, like an unwanted guest that nobody wants to acknowledge. I just don't get why anyone in their right mind would want home-made poison with their cornflakes.
- They bought two new dogs. This brings the total to, I think, nine. It is a big like the twelve days of Christmas here - there are pigs, cows, chickens and ROOSTERS (grrrr roosters) all wandering around.
- On the subject of dogs, I asked my older host brother Nika if he preferred dogs or cats. His answer was that he likes dogs and kills cats.
- I finally got to shoot at something on a hunting trip a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully we didn't see any game and/or endangered species so on the way home we stopped in a field and Big Nick threw a can in the air for me to shoot at, which I of course missed. Multiple times. Then Nika had a go and shot the can first time. I was impressed enough at that but obviously Big Nick didn't feel the same way. He ordered a cartredge to be thrown in the air and a second later it had been blown into pieces by the big sharpshooter. If the Russians come down into Georgia again I would strongly caution them against setting foot in Natanebi.
- I was told that Georgians were loud before I came but that's sort of an understatement. In reality it's like living with the Costanza's. Everything is yelled! All the time! I think the poor rooster is just trying to get a word in.
There is probably more but that's all I can think of for now. I need to go to the toilet anyway, an experience I thoroughly look forward to at home but utterly dread in this country. Apparently the water to the new, inside, SEATED toilet is being connected tomorrow, but they've been saying that for a week now. Zeg...
No comments:
Post a Comment